Friday, July 1, 2011

Sweet Rice: Falls Church VA

Recently I tried a lovely intimate little spot that seems to have been missed on the metro DC collective radar. 

Upon entering, I noticed how warm and inviting the décor was. Throw pillows in the booths, and warm colors. Though lovely, if the food could not compete with the delightful atmosphere, the point would be moot.

I am happy to report that the food, on both occasions I was privileged to eat there, definitely outshone the décor.On this particular instance I started my meal with the Kanom Jeeb, an appetizer consisting of Steamed shrimp, crabmeat and pork dumplings served with a deliciously sweet soy sauce. I was perfectly constructed, a rich combination of shrimp, crab and pork. Well seasoned, and just what I wanted. I have also tried their crispy spring rolls which were also wonderful, the perfect balance of crisp vegetable and flavor. Either way, you can find no better way to segue into one of their superb entrees.  

I am very fond of seafood dishes, especially shellfish and squid. Most American palettes cannot handle squid, but when done properly, it is a true pleasure to eat.  This was expertly executed on their dish Seafood Pad Phed (Shrimp, squid, mussels and scallop sautéed in roasted chili sauce with scallions, onion and sweet basil leaves). The Pad Woon Sen is also a fabulous dish (Cellophane noodles stir-fried with shrimp, pork, mushrooms and vegetables served with rice). Cellophane noodles are highly under-utilized in all cuisine except Thai.

As I have said, my favorite thing about Thai food is its brilliant combination of spices and fresh herbs, like a party on the tongue. Sweet Rice understands this perfectly. There are 3 Thai restaurants that I would say are the best I have ever had, 2 are covered here on my blog. Welcome Sweet Rice, you are among exalted company.What is more amazing is the reasonable prices for such highly delicious food. When you go there, your bellies will be full, your palette satiated, but your wallet will not be empty.

Contact Information:
Sweet Rice Thai Cuisine
703-241-8582
1113 West Broad st.
Falls Church, VA 22046

No comments:

Post a Comment